Sunday, July 14, 2013

Benefit of Summer Rain
























July is half way over.! The older I get, the faster time seems to fly by.
When I was a child most moms were stay at home moms.
Summer vacation was a unstructured holiday for children .
We  did ,of course, take a few "lessons".
Some of my friends took piano or ballet .
Most of us us went to "dancing class "to learn basic ballroom dance and a few "party "manners. We also went to camp ...maybe a week at girl or boyscout camps or  a week at summer"bible school".
But, we did not have the very organized summer days my grandchildren and their friends have.
Since most moms now work,many children spend the week at day camps.Their summers are filled with all sorts of wonderful and interesting opportunities to learn new skills. They seem to be bubbling over to share all this knowledge. And for the most part I'm all for it . 
But,I do get nostalgic for those long summer days with"nothing to do ".
We made up our own games and adventures.We read books in the shade on hot afternoons .We caught lightening bugs when the sun went down . I wish I still had those carefree days with nothing to do .

Usually by mid July  Maryland  has begun a summer drought . But,the spring rains never seem to have left our area . The good news ...the flowers and vegetables are growing great ! The bad news... the weeds are growing great too!
However ,there is an unexpected bonus. Because it's too wet to work in the garden, I have some extra hours to do whatever I wish . My time with "nothing to do " has been filled with my grown up version a of games and adventures .I've been playing with clay and trying new techniques .
I'm even venturing into an imaginary jungle called Facebook ...will I ever be able find my way around?
This week I hope you can find some time to play
and
Bead Happy ,
m.e.

1 comment:

  1. I remember those days of taking off on my bike in the morning and coming back when the street lights came on. The camps I am sure great but I feel sorry for nowadays kids because they just don't have the space to roam and if they did, it's too unsafe.

    ReplyDelete